APPLICATION NOTE FOR THE MICROSTRIP DEVICES
Argus-ET substrate type microstrip devices use a single ferrite element with a circuit pattern on one face and the ground plane on the other. With a permanent magnet structure included on the ferrite substrate, Argus-ET devices are complete, self-contained and fully functional ferrite devices. They are designed to be directly compatible with a simple tab connection microstrip circuit. Our devices can also be used in strip transmission line applications in a suitable mounting arrangement.
- Small size, light weight
- Low cost
- Broad offering
- High performance
- Custom design
- Lead free and ROHS compliant
- Standard frequency range of 2.1 – 64.0 GHz
- Compatible with 50-ohm adjacent devices
- Substrate type microstrip devices should be mounted on the magnetic or nonmagnetic basis. Type of the basis indicated in the product’s certificate. The surface of the bases should be smooth (surface roughness should not exceed 0.4 micrometers)
- The gap between the ferrite device and the adjacent microstrip substrate to which it is to be connected must be tightly controlled and become very critical at the higher frequencies. Coplanarity of the upper surfaces of the ferrite device and connecting MIC must also be controlled to avoid additional impedance discontinuities
- It has been found that satisfactory operation is obtained with the device either thicker or thinner than the connecting MIC provided that the thickness ratio does not exceed 1.5
- Connection tabs thickness should be 20 micrometers. Connection tabs width should be greater 75% and should not exceed a 100% of the width of device’s output (input) microstrip. Connection tabs length should not exceed width of the device’s output (input) microstrip more then twice
- We recommend the parallel gap welding of the tab connections. Connection tabs material should be gold
- Max temperature during welding process:+350°C@25 msec
- The tabs must be tightly pressed to microstrip and in no case lean over the microstrip’s edges
- Standard temperature range –30 to 65°C, do not heat above +130°C
- Electrical parameters perform at standard operating temperature range
- Other temperature ranges are available
- Magnetic fields and materials:
- Devices typically exhibit a fringing magnetic field which less that 1 gauss at the distance of 12.7 mm. Electrical performance may be affected if device is mounted on or very close to magnetic material or exposed to strong magnetic fields from nearby magnetic devices
- Handle with care, using non-magnetic tolls only
- Operated in waterproof equipment only
- Humidity up to 95% non condensing
- Must not be higher than 10-4 m2K / W
- Ability to provide a wide range of solutions to meet most applications
- Ability to provide simple Test Fixtures for incoming quality control by customer side.
- Interpretation of the Model Part Number:
- Frequency Range: 1 – mm, 2 – cm, 3 – dm.
- Functional unit: I – Isolator, C – Circulator.
- Type of connection: M – microstrip.
- Construction exclusivity: C – with carrier base, S – Surface Mount, D – Double.
- Middle frequency of the model in GHz.
- Number of modification.